Do you know the difference between Mold and Mycotoxins? Most people think that mold is toxic in of itself. But unlike popular belief you can find mold everywhere. It exists both indoors and outdoors. What makes certain types of mold dangerous to human and animal health are the toxic compounds they excrete known as mycotoxins. As all things in nature, they go wild if they are given the right environment.
According to the World Safety Organization, “The human body once exposed to a mycotoxin runs a triple risk to its toxic effects. The triple risk factors are direct toxic effect of the mycotoxin, acquisition of mutated RNAi from the mycotoxin’s parent fungus, and creation of an internal biofilm, which will harbor a toxic soup of disease.”
The problems facing millions of people in water damaged homes and buildings is very serious. Unfortunately if we live or work in buildings that have experienced water damage or poorly repaired leaks to that then we add in poor or non-existent ventilation you can almost be sure that there is mold under carpets and behind walls. These molds then start to emit mycotoxins which in turn wreak havoc on our health.
From Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, ear infections, upper respiratory infections, memory loss, MCS and other health issues: constant exposure to a sick indoor air environment will slowly deteriorate human health and can lead to serious health issues.
I truly believe that the high levels of mold, chemicals and mycotoxins in the indoor air is one of the hidden enemies of human health.
Sadly our children are direct targets for the devastating side effects of mycotixin exposure since many schools in the US are poorly maintained and have constant leaks and mold issues. If your kids are sick all week long while in school and on the weekend their health betters then something might be making them sick at school.
I just hope people wake up to this reality before it is too late. To read a little about how my health was severely affected click here.
If you live in a home or work in a building that you believe is making you sick please seek medical attention. If you do not have health insurance try going away for a few days or even a week. Most people are able to feel at least 20%-50% better while away. If you return and suddenly fall terribly ill once reentering the building or home in question, then you know that something is wrong with the air inside.
Note, that it’s not always mold indoors that makes people sick. Homes and buildings without ventilation house furniture and chemicals that off gas things like formaldehyde, paint and other substances which also cause adverse reactions in some people.
You only have one body and you must seek to take care of it. If your home has mold or asbestos or any other type of toxic substance in the air consider moving ASAP. I have heard of many people who cannot afford to move so they pitch up a tent in their front or back yard. It’s better to live in a tent then expose your body and or family to a sick environment.
Below there is an entire section with all of the research and articles I have compiled over the last 5 years. Each section below has a brief extract. If you want to read a section in it’s entirety just click on any one of the headers you want to explore and it will take you to the appropriate page on my site. Hope its a blessing to you and yours.
Here are a few quotes on Mold and Mycotoxins by the National Center for Biotechnology Information:
“Mycotoxins are made by fungi and are toxic to vertebrates and other animal groups in low concentrations.
Mycotoxins are secondary metabolites produced by (mold) microfungi that are capable of causing disease and death in humans and other animals.
Mycotoxins usually enter the body via ingestion of contaminated foods, but inhalation of toxigenic spores and direct dermal contact are also important routes.”
Mold Exposure & Toxicity
Many dont realize but as I have experienced, exposure to toxic mold can cause severe health issues that may lead to many hospital and doctor visits including serious Neuroimmune Illnesses. Constant exposure to high amounts of toxic mold may cause people to suffer from debilitating migraines, nerve inflammation, vision loss, onset of diabetes, heart complications and chronic pain.
Health Effects of Mold
Mold and indoor contaminants can cause a wide variety
of health effects. Contamination in water-damaged
buildings is a very complex situation that can result in
multi-symptom, multi-system health problems.
There are thousands of articles, studies, books and papers
written on this topic. We will provide a brief overview of
some of the key statements and conclusions that are
presented in the literature.
Mold Must See Videos
Hear from doctors, patients, news reporters on the topic of toxic mold
Mold Resources and Downloads
Important fact sheets and information for clinicians concerning mold and its effect on our health.
Personal Stories on Mold
Hear people talk about their struggles and health complications due to mold. There are some really great stories in this section.
Statistics on Mold
The research is clear. Mold and indoor contaminants can cause serious health problems. According to a Senior EPA Official, indoor air pollutants cause 50% of illnesses globally. The following information provides some of the statistics.
Mycotoxins that Kill
Mycotoxins are toxins produced by some species of mold (myco means fungal). These mycotoxins are some of the most toxic substances in existence.
Ozone is supposed to kill most or all mycotoxins. However the level of ozone you need to kill mycotoxins is not safe for humans. So if you use an ozone generator there must be no one in the house.
HEPA air filters are not effective at removing mycotoxins. Activated carbon filters can remove mycotoxins from the air however.
Some of the different types of mycotoxins are:
- Aflatoxins (produced by Aspergillus) – includes Aflatoxin B1, B2, G1, G2, M1 and M2
- Ochratoxin – includes Ochratoxin A, B, and C
- Trichothecene (produced by Stachybotrys) – includes Satratoxin-H, Vomitoxin and T-2 mycotoxins
- Fumonisins – includes Fumonisin B1 and B2
Medical study to investigate the effects of using dehumidifiers and HEPA filters to reduce mold
Poor indoor air quality is a recognized cause or contributing factor to health effects. Dampness and humidity have been linked to upper and lower respiratory symptoms in children and adults. This study indicates that reducing indoor relative humidity and airborne mold spore levels using high-efficiency dehumidification units equipped with HEPA filtration is feasible even in work facilities such as day care centers where traffic in and out of the building is difficult to regulate. Clinicians should emphasize to their patients the importance of dehumidification and HEPA filtration to improve indoor air quality in the home and workplace.
Stages of Mycotoxicosis By Dr. William Croft
Describes in detail each stage and lists all symptoms.
Ozone Generators and Interior Mold Remediation: A Recipe for Disaster
Anyone considering using ozone for mold or indoor air quality restoration efforts does so at his or her own risk. Professional restoration contractors should avoid the hype and understand that ozone has a limited role in the industry. The use of ozone generators is not the magic wand that is going to eliminate the tough work of mold remediation—the careful removal of mold-contaminated materials from indoor environments.
Anyone interested in more detailed information regarding this topic should visit the EPA’s website to view a document entitled “Ozone Generators that are Sold as Air Cleaners: An Assessment of Effectiveness and Health Consequences”
You suspect mold in your home. Someone in your family has symptoms that baffle doctors. Where do you start?
Test your home before cutting into any drywall or lifting any carpet. Disturbing the mold spores can make a situation much worse.
There are several options for testing. Mold plates found in hardware stores do not “pull” the air and provide a limited picture of your air. A toxic mold issue can easily be missed when using this product.