Earlier today I was about to make a delicious cup of hot chocolate for the kids. As I was preparing everything, my oldest turned to me and said:
“Mom, you really don’t know just how good your homemade hot chocolate is. You should market it, because it’s the best I ever tasted.” Well although selling it sounds great it’s not a possibility at this time, so instead I will share with you LCO’s secret Hot Chocolate Bliss Recipe.
It’s important to know that when homemade hot chocolate is made using pure raw organic cacao; it’s naturally loaded with antioxidants. And believe it or not, a cup of hot chocolate has been found to contain more antioxidants than a cup of green tea! So you and your family can indulge and enjoy something that tastes delicious and is nutritious too!
Okay, are you ready? I am about to share one of my secret recipes for the perfect cup of hot chocolate. This is not your refined sugar, artificially flavored, store-bought, pre-made mix I am talking about. Nope, for this mix you will have to bring out the blender and a few easily found ingredients. You can find most of the non refrigerated ingredients on Amazon or Vitacost. And if you order through this link you will get $10 off from your first purchase.
Here is what you will need:
1. Pure organic raw cacao (powdered) – Navitas Naturals offers a great one and it’s under $10 for a pound.
2. Pure organic vanilla extract in liquid form – When possible, I make my own by soaking the vanilla beans in brandy for 6-8 weeks. If you are not up for the culinary challenge then Simply Organic makes a good option.
3. Organic Nutmeg (powdered)
4. Organic Coconut Nectar (powdered) – I like to use Navitas Naturals brand or Madhava
5. Organic almond, coconut, rice milk or raw dairy
6. Organic chocolate chips – Sunspire makes a great organic version of the little chocolate treats
7. Optional – Organic whipped cream and natural marshmallows.
8. Probiotic or fermented drink like kefir, I purchase raw kefir when I can from our local raw dairy store. I also like using the coconut kefir easily made at home or purchased at your local health food store (Use probiotics when serving this drink cold)
Alright, now before we start, I must say that this recipe is not an exact science as some people like their hot chocolate to have a more bitter taste than sweet and vice versa. So you will have to use my recommendations and alter them according to your taste buds. That said, this makes a great treat on a cold winter day and if you use coconut nectar you will not alter your blood sugar levels like regular sugar does. This makes it a great option for little children that tend to get hyper with sugary drinks.
To make 3 servings take 3 cups of your choice of milk and warm until you reach the desired temperature for drinking.
Once warmed, pour into blender with ½ teaspoon of organic vanilla extract, a dash of organic nutmeg, 3-4 tablespoons of organic raw cacao and 4 tablespoons of organic coconut nectar.
Cover the blender and blend for 30 seconds or until all is mixed.
Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy! You may garnish with a few chocolate chips and marshmallows if you like.
By blending everything instead of mixing by hand, you will get a nice frothy cup of hot chocolate with a rich layer of foam that makes for great brown mustaches!
You can also serve this cold as pictured above. And when serving cold be sure to add in some probiotics. You can do this by opening up a capsule of probiotics or using a ready made drink like Kefir. By adding probiotics you are giving your body all the nutrition and ammunition it needs to live healthy!
Lots of love to you and yours.
May God Bless you this upcoming New Year!
La Chica Organica (The Organic Chic)