Is there a cold or flu virus lurking around the corner? Did you just go to the store and open up the refrigerated section then a few minutes later rub your eyes?
It’s amazing how easily we are exposed to nasty viruses and bacteria. All it takes is for Joe Shmoe to sneeze and cough right on the handles of the store refrigerators and then you come strolling along completely unaware that the door handles are covered in yuck. You open them, get your goods and go on your merry way. A few minutes later you robotically rub your eyes or nose and whala – the connection is made. Those nasty germs are on their way into your body.
First let me lovingly say that if you are a Joe Shmoe, please do us all a favor and COVER YOUR MOUTH when you cough or sneeze. Carry a pack of tissues with you so you can use and discard as needed. Also be sure to cleanse hands after each explosion of germs. It’s very irresponsible and inconsiderate to know that you’re sick and sneeze and cough all over the place without covering up and washing your hands afterward. You are promoting sickness in the community of pregnant moms, babies, young adults, parents, the elderly and even pets.
So what are some things you can do to reduce your chance of getting sick and or help you if you do get sick? What I am going to say might shock you but it’s often overlooked.
Yes, if and when your body is under attack you must sleep. Make sure you are getting at least 7 hours of un-interrupted sleep at night although 9 hours is ideal especially when the body is under stress. Your body can survive for days and days without food but your organs can start to shut down after just 5 days without sleep. So please get your rest if you can, it’s very important. Another important factor is water intake. Your body needs water at least 8 to 10 glasses a day in order to function properly. Your brain alone is composed of over 75% water. Not to mention the rest of your body consists of about 60% water.
Just think of a raisin all shriveled up. That could be your brain or your lungs you know. It’s actually been studied that people with asthma that drink more water and stay hydrated were found to have less attacks. So hydration with good old water is very important at all times.
Now to the other stuff.
Before I start giving you what I use let me make it clear that if you want to be healthy you have to act like your trying to get healthy. Yes, organic herbs and supplements can help a body under attack but you must deal with the problem from the inside out and not simply treat a symptom. If you eat a diet mainly of cooked foods and do not take additional enzymes, probiotics and minerals you are going to run your body down and in turn have a weakened immune system that will fall prey to any and every viral or bacterial infection floating in the air. A healthy diet is the key to maintaining a strong immune system.
OK, now that I got that out of the way, lets talk about my health cocktails. I have all kinds of cocktails: bath cocktails, breakfast cocktails, immunity cocktails, you name it I’ve got it.
– Some of the foods, ingredients & herbs I use in my emergency cold and flu cocktails are: Organic Olive Leaf , Organic Lemon Balm, Organic Ginger, Organic Garlic, Organic Thyme, Greens and Grasses in smoothies, Colostrum, Organic Herbal Baths, Organic Powdered Rose hips (Vitamin C), vitamin D3, herbal salts, Organic Cayenne Powder, Organic herbal antiviral antibacterial tinctures & glycerites.
– Want to boost immunity then do a smoothie with Organic Greens. We drink one every morning for breakfast and add in powdered Colostrum and powdered Rose hips. La Chica Organica has a fantastic blend of Greens/Grasses available, please email me for product information and pricing.
– Making pasta be sure to crush lots of fresh garlic. If you have a mortar and pestle make a paste with a pinch of Cayenne and toss it over your cooked pasta with some olive oil. Garlic is a fantastic antiviral and anti-inflammatory herb. Cayenne has been used for years as a nasal decongestant and has been used for centuries to treat asthma, fevers, sore throats, respiratory infections, and digestive problems.
– Got the stuffy’s and congested? I enjoy using an awesome Organic balm that I make called Mariana’s Winter Balm. It’s gentle but effective for rubbing on a congested chest and feet. I have 3 samples to give away for anyone interested. Please post a comment below by 8pm Friday October 8th 2010. The first 3 comments will be contacted via email and will be mailed a sample within the next 2 weeks. I just ask that you cover $3.99 for packaging and shipping costs. This balm will be available for purchase soon.
– Another fantastic food to keep on hand is Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil. Coconut Oil does not contain Trans-Fats, is Gluten-Free, Non-Toxic, Hypoallergenic, and contains Antibacterial, Antiviral, Antifungal, and Anti-parasitic healing properties. Coconut oil is a fantastic way to aid and support your overall Immune System functions.
If you would like a 10 ounce container of La Chica Organica’s Coconut Oil you can order by emailing me at LaChicaOrganica@gmail.com. Each container is at an affordable price of just $4. I add a teaspoon to my smoothies 2 times a day. It’s so yummy.
– I also have found that drinking a tea several times a day with 1 or more of my immunity boosting herbs is a wonderful way to stay healthy and aid the body during sickness. But if teas are not your thing or you simply don’t have time you might consider making a tincture like the one in the picture below. A tincture is a liquid extract of an herb. It is made by soaking herbs in a drinkable alcohol. Tinctures are super concentrated herbal concoctions. You only need a few drops several times a day. Tinctures work because they are made in a base of alcohol like Vodka or Brandy which breaks down the herbs and pulls out the medicinal qualities.
You can make these with little to no difficulty and have enough bottles on hand to last you all year for just a fraction of the cost for what you pay for just one 2 ounce bottle at the health food store.
I have created a step by step instructional guide with this kit that comes with 2 bags of organic herbs, 2 glass tincture bottles, labels and two organic cotton muslin bags for straining. The only thing you will have to purchase is your vodka or Brandy. You will also need a jar with a lid for steeping the herbs and a jar with lid to store any extra tincture. I find that re-cycling pasta sauce jars works wonderfully.
Grab this kit while it lasts as it is specially priced for winter and will go quickly. Click here to order
Immunity Rescue – Intense immunity booster with over 8 organic herbs possessing anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties.$25
Help my Tummy – fantastic blend or organic herbs that help with stomach upset, gas and indigestion. $25
Nighty Night – A mixture of organic herbs to help you unwind and relax. $25
AstraE (Astragalus & Echinacea) – Immunity booster and viral infection fighter. $25
Fever Assist – made with herbs that promote perspiration which in turn cools the body down resulting in a lowering of fever. $25
**You can also purchase additional tincture bottles for $3 each or four tincture bottles for $11** Click here to order
– If you are really miserable with a flu you can take homeopathic meds which are a fabulous alternative to pharmacy drugs. We love Oscillococcinum. Oscillococcinum (Oscillo®), one of the world’s most popular natural flu medicines, it can reduce the duration and severity of flu-like symptoms when taken at the onset of symptoms. Oscillo works without causing side effects, does not interfere with other medications, and is safe for both children (older than 2 years of age) and adults. For $2 coupons you can use at your pharmacy or grocery store click here
- Clinical studies show that Oscillo reduces the severity and duration of flu symptoms
- Great taste and convenient to take
- No side effects or interactions with other medications
- Good for everyone 2 years of age and older
– One last thing to remember is that green is good. The more green you consume the better your overall health will be.
That’s all for now.
Signing Off! La Chica Organica