Are you one of the 40 million people in the US that suffer with arthritis? If you are or if you know someone who is suffering with arthritis please pass on this information from various books on the topic of Arthritis. Its worth noting that herbs have been used for centuries to aid arthritis sufferers. Those herbs include: Alfalfa, Rosemary, Yarrow, Thyme, Tumeric, Oregano, Burdock. Some descriptions are listed below.
Alfalfa (Medicago Saliva)
Alfalfa is one of the most popular remedies for arthritis. For better results, consume herbal tea made from fresh alfalfa, instead of the powder.
Angelica (Angelica Archangelica)
The western variety of Angelica has 12 anti-inflammatory constituents, 10 anti-spasmodic (muscle relaxant) constituents and 5 anodyne (pain-relieving) constituents that are essential for treating arthritis.
Arnica is externally applied as an herbal arthritis medication, to soothe soreness and inflammation. It is considered as one of the greatest herbs for trauma, inflammation and tissue damage. It is used in homoeopathic treatment also.
Black Cohosh (Cimicifuga Racemosa)
Black cohosh acts as a muscle anti-inflammatory and as an antispasmodic to nerves, muscles and blood vessels. The salicylic acid in it contributes to these properties. The herb helps in reducing inflammation caused due by osteoarthritis, neuralgia and rheumatoid arthritis.
Boswellia is similar to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). It has a unique anti-inflammatory action. In addition, long-term use of boswellia does not result in any side effect.
Cayenne pepper contains a pain-relieving chemical known as capsaicin and an aspirin-like compound called salicylate. It provides relief from arthritis pain, when ingested or applied topically. It is the most powerful herb for increasing circulation, both internally and externally.
Celery (Apium Graveolens)
Celery is rich in minerals and contains more than 25 anti-inflammatory compounds. Raw or cooked celery seeds prove to be a good remedy for rheumatism.
Ginger (Zingiber Officinale)
In order to tackle the swelling that results from arthritis, use ginger tea and ginger compress. Ginger tea is beneficial for osteoarthritis.
Ginseng (Panax Quinquefolius)
Ginseng tea works wonders in treating arthritis. It is advised to use American ginseng, since Asian ginseng can actually aggravate the pain of arthritis.
Hops (Humulus Lupulus)
Hop tea is a popular remedy for rheumatism. The plant contains more than 22 constituents that have anti-inflammatory activities and 4 constituents with anti-spasmodic properties. Around 10 constituents act as sedatives, alleviating pain.
Licorice has crucial anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effects and acts like cortisone. The licorice components bind glucocorticoid receptors on cells and exert glucocorticoid-like effects.
Mustard Plaster (Brassica Alba)
Mustard is a common herb that is used as in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. It contains an irritating substance called allyl-isothyocyanate that is activated only when the seeds are grounded coarsely and mixed with some liquid. This ointment, when applied on the joints, produces the necessary irritation for the counterirritant effect.
Oregano (Origanum Vulgare)
Since free radicals occur in case of inflammation, growing age and degenerative arthritis, oregano, being a powerful antioxidant, prevents the cell damage from free radicals. Antioxidants also help in relieving osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Pineapple contains bromelain, a chemical that prohibits swelling and helps prevent inflammation. The chemical helps to get rid of immune antigen complex compounds that are implicated in some arthritis conditions.
Rosemary (Rosemarinus Officinalis)
Rosemary leaves contain four anti-inflammatory substances. When consumed as a tea, they prove to be a good option for bringing about improvement in arthritis.
Sesame Seeds (Sesamum Indicum)
The nutritional needs of the body increase during arthritis attacks. Since sesame seeds contain copper, the requirement is recuperated.
Stinging Nettle (Urtica Dioica)
Stinging nettle is considered as one of the most important herbs used for treating early-onset of arthritis.
Turmeric (Curcuma Longa)
The yellow pigment of turmeric, curcumin has considerable anti-inflammatory action. Turmeric is used to deal with almost all the problems effectively. It is very effective in certain models of inflammation.
Willow bark tea has pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory effects and works like an aspirin to reduce pain and swelling.
Wintergreen (Gaulteria Procumbens)
Wintergreen contains methyl-salicylate, the chief active pain-relieving component to treat arthritis. It is preferred to use the dried form of the herb, since it can be toxic when used in concentrated wintergreen oil or applied to the skin.
– Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease that is related to but distinct from osteoarthritis. In rheumatoid arthritis antibodies are formed against components of bone, cartilage and synovia of joints, and the immune cells of the body attack the joints of most parts of the body, causing inflammation, fibrosis and joint destruction. Although this disease can affect children in the juvenile form of rheumatoid arthritis, most sufferers from arthritis are middle-aged or elderly. Kilmer S. McCully, The Homocysteine Revolution
– Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis is the most prevalent form in children, and there are three major types: polyarticular (affecting many joints), pauciarticular (affecting a few joints), and systemic (affecting the entire body). The signs and symptoms of juvenile rheumatoid Arthritis vary from child to child. There is no single test that establishes conclusively a diagnosis of juvenile Arthritis, and the condition must be present consistently for six or more consecutive weeks before a correct diagnosis can be made. Heredity is thought to play some part in the development of juvenile Arthritis. Phyllis A. Balch, CNC, Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 4th Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food Supplements
– The sulfur content in fingernails of arthritis sufferers is lower than that of healthy subjects without arthritis. Ginger contains anti-inflammatory compounds called gingerols. These substances are believed to explain why so many people with osteoarthritis experience reduction in their pain levels and improvement in their mobility when they consume ginger regularly. Although most scientific studies have used powdered gingerroot, fresh gingerroot at an equivalent dosage is believed to yield even better results because it contains active enzymes. Most studies utilized 1 gram of powdered gingerroot. Michael Murray, N.D. and Joseph Pizzorno, N.D., The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
– Arthritis can sometimes be exacerbated by a deficiency in minerals, including phosphorous, magnesium, calcium, and manganese, and also by a lack of vitamins E and C. Dharma Singh Khalsa, M.D., Brain Longevity: The Breakthrough Medical Program that Improves Your Mind and Memory
– Research has shown that fish-oil supplements can sometimes reduce the pain, swelling, and stiffness of rheumatoid arthritis, says Dr. Prosch. Take 6 grams, or six 1,000-milligram capsules, a day for 4 to 6 months, he recommends. The capsules provide 1,080 milligrams of EPA and 720 milligrams of DHA, which is the average amount needed by most patients, he says. You can take them all at once or in divided doses, according to Dr. Prosch. As with most natural treatments for chronic disease, don’t expect the pain to vanish overnight. For most people, it takes 3 to 4 months before the treatment begins to soothe aching joints. After about 5 months, Dr. Prosch recommends reducing the dosage to three capsules, or 3,000 milligrams, daily. Bill Gottlieb, Alternative Cures: The Most Effective Natural Home Remedies for 160 Health Problems
– Lyme disease can mimic arthritis, causing many of the same symptoms. Phyllis A. Balch, CNC, Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 4th Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food Supplements