I have been writing about coconut oil for a long time. We have used organic raw extra virgin coconut oil for everything from chicken, to beauty treatments and in smoothies. I have also witnessed its amazing qualities for sustained weight loss. But now the medical community is finally jumping on the bandwagon and talking about it benefits, something the natural health community has known for years. But it’s never to late!
And just in case you want written information on why you should have coconut oil; here are some amazing Coconut facts courtesy of Coconut Secret:
If you’re anything like me, you prefer the basic facts highlighted for you in bullet point fashion ~ everything important you need to know about the naturally occurring health benefits of coconut tree products. So, I’ll get right to it!
- Helps Prevent Obesity by speeding up metabolism, providing an immediate source of energy with fewer calories than other fats. People who consistently use coconut products, report a stronger ability to go without eating for several hours with no affects of hypoglycemia.
- Improves Heart Health by providing healthy short chain and medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) that are essential to good health. Close to 98% of all fatty acids consumed are composed of long-chain fatty acids (LCFA), which are very different from MCFA that have no negative effect on cholesterol ratios and help to lower the risk of atherosclerosis and protect against heart disease. Studies have shown that populations in Polynesia and Sri Lanka, where coconuts are a dietary staple, do not suffer from high serum cholesterol or heart disease. Unlike other fats, the unique properties of coconut also contain a large amount of lauric acid, which is the predominant fatty acid found in mother’s milk.
- High in Dietary Fiber rivaling other fiber sources such as psyllium, wheat bran, oat bran, and rice bran. Coconut supplies an impressive 61% dietary fiber! Foods contain two types of carbohydrates – digestible and non-digestible. Digestible carbohydrates (soluble fiber) consists of starch and sugar and promote calories. Non-digestible carbohydrates (insoluble fiber) contains NO calories. Since the body cannot digest the dietary fiber in coconut, no calories are derived from it and it has no effect on blood sugar.
- Low Glycemic Index (GI) measures how fast available carbohydrates in food raise blood sugar levels. Coconut fiber slows down the release of glucose, therefore requiring less insulin to utilize the glucose and transport it into the cell where it is converted into energy. Coconut also assists in relieving stress on the pancreas and enzyme systems of the body, in turn, reducing the risks associated with Diabetes. Coconut Nectar and Crystals have a very low GI of only 35 (compared to honey with a GI of 55-83, and sugar with a GI of 65-100.)
- Reduces Sweet Cravings and improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose. The healthy fat in coconut slowsdown any rise in blood sugar and helps to reduce hypoglycemic cravings.
- Improves Digestion and many of the symptoms and inflammatory conditions associatedwith digestive and bowel disorders, by supporting absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids while also providing beneficial dietary fiber.
- Quick Energy Boost that provides a super nutritious source of extra energy. Coconut is utilized by the body to actually produce energy, rather than to store it as body fat. It supports improved endurance during physical and athletic performance. As well, it promotes healthy thyroid function and helps to relieve the symptoms of chronic fatigue.
- In addition, coconut contains No Trans-Fats, is Gluten-Free, Non-Toxic, Hypoallergenic, and also contains Antibacterial, Antiviral, Antifungal, and Anti-parasitic healing properties. Coconut helps to aid and support overall Immune System functions.
Coconut Oil does not contain Trans-Fats, is Gluten-Free, Non-Toxic, Hypoallergenic, and contains Antibacterial, Antiviral, Antifungal, and Anti-parasitic healing properties. Coconut helps to aid and support overall Immune System functions.
La Chica Organica loves organic raw coconut oil, it’s the favored ingredient in many of my signature dishes, herbal remedies and facial treatments. Here are some LCO CocoCrazy™ uses for coconut oil:
Coconut Curry Chicken – I cook the chicken in coconut milk, coconut oil, curry and garlic. Brown the chicken first using a tablespoon of coconut oil then lower and simmer in coconut milk, curry and garlic. You can add another spoon of coconut oil if you like. For another great coconut chicken recipe click here.
Pina Colada Smoothie – We use frozen pineapples, bananas, raw milk or coconut milk, organic raw honey and a teaspoon of coconut oil per 4 cups of fluid. Blend and you have your self a delicious smoothie.
Raw chocolate Chip pancakes – You can use sprouted grains or regular organic flour and add in your carob or cacao chips. Use coconut oil as needed. Place on the electric skillet or in oven making sure not to heat above 118 degrees.
Coconut Hair & Body Treatment – use organic unrefined coconut oil in your hair as a moisturizer treatment and on rough dry skin. It’s fantastic and smells like you’re on an island. I use it one or twice a month in my hair and on my scalp.